The Hospitality Institute is the local education project of the NGO PROJECT-E Education Empowers.
Education empowers - that is our mission statement, as we provide job opportunities for young Ethiopian women from underprivileged social backgrounds. Thereby we offer scholarships in hotel operation training based on the nationally accredited curriculum, next to our outstanding practical trainings with partner hotels as well as language and life-skill training. In total we are supporting about to 100 students within our long-term program (Level 2 Certificate in Hotel Operations) and short-term levels (House Keeping) in striving for a professional perspective to become financially independent as well as to gain self-confidence and become empowered women.
What makes PROJECT-E unique is thereby not only our 90% success rate in assisting the students to find a suitable job after the training and our outstanding reputation in the hotel industry in Ethiopia with renowned partner and stakeholders. But also, our administrative structure and project management is exceptional:
- On the one hand, we have the local Team in Addis, consisting of roughly 15 solely Ethiopian staff members. They implement the project and are responsible for the academical and sociological development of the students.
- On the other hand, PROJECT-E consists of a “Team International” with students and young professionals working voluntarily and web-based worldwide to coordinate and finance the operation.
The currently advertised vacancy of the Country Representative takes in a bridging role between the teams and offers a dynamic, exciting, and meaningful hands-on job with a large sphere of influence and creativity.
The Country Representative's general responsibilities include the following:
- Represent the PROJECT-E Hospitality Institute (PEHI), in all matters relating to the projects of the organization, as well as any future projects of PROJECT-E
- Coordinate the legal work in Ethiopia regarding all governmental bodies (TVET; Charities and Societies Agency, Project Signatories, Immigration Office, etc.)
- Report on a weekly basis to the Management regarding the development of the project, any ongoing issues or concerns, and the overall situation in Ethiopia
- Establishment and maintaining of close networks and partnerships with other organizations and especially the building of further donor relations.
Regarding the established project, the Country Representative has the following responsibilities:
- Serve as a focal person for the PEHI and deliver all necessary tasks according to the strategy plans, while following up on financial and narrative reports as well as controlling and comparing the organization’s budget.
- Draft yearly budgets for the project in Ethiopia and submit the drafts to the Management Board for approval and close monitoring of the fund distribution and spending with quarterly reports and evaluations
- Represent PROJECT-E e.V. in all matters regarding human resources and finance, forward cases and discuss challenges regularly with the Board of Directors.
- Ensuring an empowering workplace for our local staff and international volunteers with means of capacity development. The goal is that the project will be completely locally rooted, and the entire operation is taken over by local staff in the future. Coordinate and advise a team of international and local volunteers.
- Manage local public relations and fundraising activities.
- Bring in new ideas and develop the project further (currently we are starting of concepts of social intrapreneurship and we expect the new CR to majorly carry the infantry stages)
- Impact-oriented monitoring and evaluation of the project in particular with taking the lead on reporting duties for commission parties.
- Creation of ToR with smaller contractors for the project (for example the annual financial auditor or M&E Evaluators) and the supervision of their work
- A university degree in Social Sciences (Sociology, Political Science, Public Administration, Development Policies, Education, Tourism, Gender Studies, Economics or similar)
- We require professional and/or academic experience abroad
- At least 2 years of field experience in project management and/or educational management
- Proven experience in reporting for and communication with donors and commissioning parties (experience with the Austrian Development Agency highly preferred)
- Demonstrated understanding of monitoring and experience
- Strong analytical, documentation, problem solving, interpersonal and negotiation skills are considered key assets
- A high degree of initiative, motivation and ability to work under pressure
- Agreement with our mission statement women empowerment through education
- Very good communication, networking and teamwork skills
- Business fluent in English (mandatory)
- Excellent user knowledge of MS Office
- Attractive social benefits (health insurance, transport and telephone allowances)
- Possibility to travel twice per year to Europe to participate in the bi-annual Strategy Weekend
- A varied and responsible job in a team-oriented working environment with unique opportunity to shape and develop the project
- Attractive full-time job in Addis Ababa, with your own creative possibilities and in a cooperative working atmosphere
- Flexible working time models
- Opportunities for continuing education and training (language courses, leadership skills, etc.)
To apply for this opening, please click on the "Apply now" button on the right, attach your CV, and complete all of the required fields.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by 31.10.21.
PROJECT-E operates with an equal opportunities policy and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified women, men people of all nationalities, and cultural backgrounds, and candidates with disabilities are welcome to apply.
By submitting an application for any of PROJECT-E's opportunities, you consent to PROJECT-E using the information you provide therein (i.e., your CV, contact details, and application responses) to assess your application and communicate with you accordingly.